[Nix-dev] NixOS and NixOps on server : testimonials here ?

Ben Doyle benjamin.peter.doyle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 16:43:23 CEST 2015

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I thought I'd add my experience.

At work we use NixOps to manage about 15 machines. This mostly works pretty
well, and it's a huge advance over anything manual.

Three main issues. The big one is that at any moderate sort of scale you
start having cross-cluster resources --- in our case, stuff like a varnish
cache/load balancer and a build server --- and NixOps doesn't really help
you with that. It'd be great if a NixOps network were a tree, with
subclusters, rather than a flat set.

Second, nixpkgs itself becomes a chunk of state that your deployments
depend on, and nixpkgs changes pretty fast, even from a
small-and-hopefully-nimble startup's perspective. We've ended up using
submodules and such; fine-ish, but inelegant. I don't really have a
suggestion here --- mostly it's good that nixpkgs moves fast, of course.
It's something to be aware of.

The third gripe is that nixops nix expressions can be tricky to debug. (I
miss static types every day...) The suggestions upthread about small files
are good; likewise, nix-repl is your friend.

Mostly it's pretty great! Have fun,

Ben