[Nix-dev] --ignore-liveness when nix-store --delete'ing

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:12:06 CEST 2015

Hello all,

Please do not run this command:

nix-store --delete --ignore-liveness /nix/store/hash-gnutar-version

I have exactly this issue: http://pastebin.com/z5k8bxWQ and wanted to
selectively delete the troublesome gnutar package.

The above command completely and utterly borked my system.  It started
deleteing my entire environment, I was left with a terminal that didn't
understand 'ls' or and other command, though I could change directory. I
could not run any nix* command.

Ah! No problem! I thought, I'll just restart into another generation.

So grateful manner I say: Thank you dearly for such a well designed system.
These generations are insanely great.

So ... is this --ignore-liveness expected behaviour?