[Nix-dev] Zero Hydra Failures on staging and master

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 14:01:54 CEST 2015

Hello dear nixers,

our first and latest ZHF run was very successful. We were able to drop
hydra failures from 6000+ failures to almost zero failures! [1]
Because the next NixOS stable release will hopefully happen the next
month, I'd like to focus on getting the number of failures low again,
prioritizing staging for the few next days, and then on master.

== Current staging ==

the latest staging evaluation on hydra is going to have more than 3000
failures [2], compared to about 2500 of trunk [3].

This is mostly due to the fact that staging has seen a great change:
failures of build hooks are not ignored anymore. Hence most of those new
failures are easily fixable, like a mkdir $out/bin to be changed to
mkdir -p $out/bin, or something like that.

I invite everyone to contribute to ZHF on staging, well not going to
zero, but at least fix packages that previously built (even wrongly) on
master without this change.
If you find a package that is hard to fix, probably it's not a breakage
due to this change.

== Future master ==

Also, once staging will be merged in master, I invite everyone to fix
all the failures on hydra in order to release a better new NixOS stable
release.

Best regards,

Note: the ZHF page is a little outdated, will try to update it in the
next days, unless someone else does before me.

[1] https://nixos.org/wiki/Zero_Hydra_Failures
[2] http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/staging
[3] http://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/nixpkgs/trunk