[Nix-dev] Use Haskell for Shell Scripting

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Sat Jan 31 23:29:54 CET 2015

> Curry is indeed a beautiful language, and is essentially a
> conservative extension of Haskell. I am surprised that more Haskell
> folk have not adopted it.

Well, it does lack quite a few things right now, including on the
language level.  For example its way to deal with ad-hoc polymorphism is
very ugly, because it has no type classes yet:

    (==) :: a -> a -> Bool

Constraint programming can be done reasonably in Haskell, it just won't
be as pretty and implicit as in Curry.  So I can live with Haskell's
lack of built-in constraint programming, but I can't live with Curry's
lack of type classes.

In other words, there is still a lot of room for improvement, and it
caught my attention so much that I will definitely check from time to
time for Curry news.

The perfect programming language in my view would combine the best of
Agda, Curry, Haskell, Idris and this crazy data flow language whose name
I forgot (it has negative and reciprocal types representing lack of
information).

> PAKCS compiles Curry to Prolog (typically SICStus), which drags in the Prolog
> system. To get a binary executable, a better choice would be MCC (compiles
> Curry to native code) or KiCS2 (compiles Curry to Haskell, which can go into
> ghc):

PAKCS was the only implementation I could find in Nixpkgs, and it was
sufficient to get a feeling for the language.