[Nix-dev] A few questions about ARM support and NixOS on a Chromebook

Luke Clifton ltclifton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 08:42:29 CET 2015

Hi Bjørn,

I have read that thread. I agree with you 100% that native builds (on real
or virtual hardware) is the only way this can work. Upstream doesn't
usually care if their software can cross compile, and they can't maintain
it themselves even if they did. Sometimes it isn't even an option, e.g. GHC
still can't cross compile template Haskell yet.

I once used to think that full system cross compilation was the only way
you should do things (I was an idealist). But it is a dead end. Unless you
have thousands of hours to throw at the problem, it won't work.

Have you made any progress on this yourself?

Regards,

Luke