[Nix-dev] Funding Hydra Development

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 13:52:42 CET 2015

This thing is about trust, and personally I'd prefer signing the
derivation->output hash pairs and having some web-of-trust-like
solution. (Although some build redundancy is certainly good, for
multiple reasons.)

The problem with seti at home -like solutions is that verifying correctness
is generally no cheaper than full rebuild. Therefore, the untrusted
computers bring very little added value. (They can distribute the
content signed by trusted people, but distribution isn't much of a
problem in our case, IMHO.)

On 01/22/2015 01:29 PM, Wout Mertens wrote:
> Then you could do something like, have 1000 builders, and if 501
> builders get the same output hash for a derivation, it gets accepted on
> the public ledger of input/output hashes.

I'm not sure about such schemes either. It isn't very economical to
build everything 1000-times. I do see the bitcoin-like inspiration (I
guess), but I wouldn't apply it here, at least not in this way.
(Do we want to give most decision power to those who make most claims on
the build results? Even if we extend them with some additional
proof-of-work?)

Vladimir