[Nix-dev] Again: Why don't these people have commit access

M. P. Ashton data at gtf.org
Wed Jan 21 03:37:11 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015, at 04:26 PM, Georges Dubus wrote:
> I'm under the impression that none of the proposal inspired by outside
> project seem to fit NixOS, because NixOS is a very different project : it
> is a huge and complex linux distro.
>
> The first consequence is that it is impossible to have expert on each
> part
> on NixOS, because each tiny part requires a specific expertise. To work
> on
> python packaging, you have to be a python developer, to work on kde
> packaging, you have to be involved in the kde community, and to work on
> libreoffice packaging you have to be knowledgeable on how libreoffice is
> built (and very patient). I reckon you'll find much people who are
> confident enough to review a change on a specific part on NixOS than
> you'd
> find in another project.

This is a good point. How has the Debian project handled this situation?
Perhaps there are some good lessons to be learned from the ways they
have organised themselves.

I believe things have been a little tense over there lately, but they
have certainly been successful over the years.

--Michael Ashton