[Nix-dev] A Journey into the Haskell NG infrastructure: Part I

Benno Fünfstück benno.fuenfstueck at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 23:40:29 CET 2015

Hi Peter,

The new haskell infrastructure looks very nice, thanks for that, I
especially like that now most of haskell related expressions are in one
dictionary and not spread out over the whole nixpkgs tree. However, I
wonder if it would be possible to just use ghcWithPackages in
generic-builder.nix too? That way, the symlinking logic does not have to be
duplicated, and if we set the NIX_GHC_* variables for GHC-paths then
packages will find their libraries even if they use the GHC API. Are there
any disadvantages to that approach which I have missed? Another benefit
would be that there is no need for a separate env target in this setup,
running nix-shell on the real expression will just work.

Kind regards,
Benno