[Nix-dev] less: When assumptions ruin the world

Ertugrul Söylemez ertesx at gmx.de
Fri Jan 2 14:01:00 CET 2015

Hi Michael,

> I know; I was answering the question of why it is a problem to choose
> a single PAGER value.

Sorry, I'm still getting used to my new mail setup. =)

>>    nix-env --list-generations
>
> I use ls instead of this command.

That's actually a good idea, thanks.

> Well, systemd is intentionally breaking my workflow in ways that
> cannot be worked around with trivial shell scripts, and I don't care
> what pager journalctl when it takes multiple minutes to do the job
> that "tail -f" does in tens of milliseconds.
>
> So I let's not compare oversight with malice..

Sure, systemd is broken in too many ways to enumerate.

Nix has just taken a small step into the wrong direction.  Nothing will
explode because of that, but we should be aware of that and step back.

Of course all of this is my personal opinion.  If the majority of the
community disagrees, then I will have to live with it.  I have opened
this thread because I think that many people will actually agree.

Greets,
Ertugrul