[Nix-dev] haskell-ng: shell.nix magic to infer .env?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Feb 25 19:37:46 CET 2015

Hi Benno,

 > Why don't we make the `.env` shellHook the default shellHook for the
 > derivation too?

Mateusz requested something like that earlier, and I created [1] to make
sure it's not forgotten. Basically, the idea was that an appropriate
shellHook allows you to work interactively in the standard build, too.
All you need is a couple of aliases and/or variables that provide
convenient short-cuts for building "./Setup" and for running "./Setup
configure" with appropriate flags. I believe the original mailing list
thread about this subject began at [2].

 > I guess this can make debugging for people working on the generic-builder
 > more difficult, since they can no longer use nix-shell for that.

I wouldn't worry about that. If this ever becomes a problem, then we'll
extend "nix-shell" with a flag that tells it to ignore shellHook. :-)

Take care,
Peter

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/5916
[2] http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/nix-dev/2015-January/015790.html