[Nix-dev] [proposal] Policy how to handle controversial commits

Domen Kožar domen at dev.si
Wed Feb 25 12:52:37 CET 2015

Hi all,

this is a follow-up on the discussion about a set of controversial
commits[0]. By controversial I mean that two or more developers don't agree
on the implementation.

Let's ignore the context of disagreement and anything else not relevant to
the commits in question that are already in any of the official branches
(in case of NixOS, master or release-XX.XX).

Assumptions:

- core developers have commit access and don't have to open pull requests
for all the changes they make

Proposal:

If two or more developers disagree on the implementation of a commit or
sets of commits, commit(s) in question can be reverted after 24h (since the
start of the discussion) by any party and pull requests can be opened to
address the issue with different approaches.

24h window is open so that the developer that committed has time to fix
trivial issues.

Main motivation is that discussion and review is important. If commits are
already in official branches that means that developers will base their
work on top of that, which might result into different kinds of problems
later on.

PS: a typical commit that falls into this category is a change that breaks
many other packages

PS2: please assume the current workflow we have in nixpkgs. This proposal
is not how to change the workflow, but how to handle issues that come up
during it's practice

[0] http://lists.science.uu.nl/pipermail/nix-dev/2015-February/016381.html

Domen