[Nix-dev] Underspecified 'disabled' attributes in python-packages.nix

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 20:45:46 CET 2015

On 02/24/2015 04:44 PM, Vladimír Čunát wrote:
> On 02/24/2015 04:33 PM, Luca Bruno wrote:
>> Afaik it's not only a python "disabled" problem. It also happens for
>> "meta.broken" that doesn't get propagated.
>
> Yes, one great advantage of "throw" is how it propagates nicely.
> Is there a reason not to use that, except for errors in Hydra evals?
>
> We might just tweak/customize error-logging from the current "throw"
> instead of doing anything complex.

Oh, I've let you mislead me (and my memory just returned): meta.broken
is implemented via throw run as an assertion in stdenv.mkDerivation
evaluation.
See <nixpkgs>/pkgs/stdenv/generic/default.nix for the implementation.
Therefore, it certainly should get propagated whenever anything from the
derivation is used (even just name or meta stuff).

If we need another semantically distinct option, like meta.disabled, it
will be easy to implement in the same way. However, for any throw-based
solutions, Hydra just outputs the error thrown, so we that's a point
where it should get more clever. Perhaps we could be having some tags at
the start of the string, such as "Broken:" or "Disabled:", so Hydra or
anyone could easily filter the throws and keep only the ones interesting
in the particular use case.

Vladimir