[Nix-dev] Automatic download option for "requireFile"

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 11:30:22 CET 2015

On 02/23/2015 05:40 PM, Thomas Strobel wrote:
> So, how should we deal with software that can be downloaded "freely",
> but where the user has to accept a certain license?
> Is the nixpkgs option "config.allowUnfree = true;" meant exactly for
> that cases?

Well, you *always* have to accept the license for any package. Free ones
are "accepted automatically", and for others you have allowUnfree and
friends (even general allowUnfreePredicate).

> FWIW, I'm fairly strongly against inclusion of any package that cannot be
> installed automatically, i.e., anything that uses requireFile. The reason being
> that if a package shows up in "nix-env -qa", then "nix-env -i <package>" should
> Just Work.

I personally do try to avoid unfree packages (or worse,
non-redistributable/requireFile ones). They bring less benefit in
nixpkgs than free ones, but note that in default installation they will
*not* be shown by "nix-env -qa" (unless the user sets allowUnfree*).

Vladimir