[Nix-dev] Automatic download option for "requireFile"

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 19:51:51 CET 2015

On 02/22/2015 11:26 AM, Tomasz Kontusz wrote:
> Talking about laws: are there any guidelines about what software can go
> into nixpkgs/can be distributed by hydra?
> I know many distributions try to somehow separate the software illegal
> in USA (mostly DRM-related/patented stuff).

Basically anything is accepted in nixpkgs, even non-redistributable
stuff as you see (why else requireFile). However, only free stuff
(OSI/FSF) is built by hydra. When installing, you need to explicitly
enable unfree stuff, except perhaps for redistributable firmware.

We *do* have some packages that are attackable from patent point of
view, from the top of my head e.g. subpixel rendering in freetype by
default (just as many other larger distributions). It's probably because
SW patents are a bit annoying to truly avoid and historically most
nixpkgs contributors were from EU.

(Side note: stricter licensing rules can be found in GNU-approved guix.)

Vladimir