[Nix-dev] State database in nixops

Thomas Hunger tehunger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 16:05:16 CET 2015

Hi,

I've been a happy user of nixops for my own projects for a while. It works
fine as a single user tool but we found it to be tricky to use with
multiple developers, or even just a CI system that calls nixops deploy.

One issue we had is absolute paths in the state. I.e. if I "nixops export"
my state and then import and use it on e.g. the jenkins account I need to
adjust the absolute paths.

Another issue we have is that checking a sqlite database into git isn't
great for reviews.

We have a semi-working system now where jenkins calls "nixops deploy -s
/var/common-state/project.sqlite ..." on our deploy server, and we have
local copies of that state for emergency deploys.

First: How are other people solving collaboration on nixops state?

Secondly: Is there any interest in extending nixops to have a text (e.g.
protobuf-ascii) state file with relative paths that could be checked into
git? There are a few unclear design choices, e.g. what to do with ec2
backups. But for our purposes it would be better to use AWSs list of
volumes as the source-of-truth for backups (e.g. by adding more tags).

best,
Tom