[Nix-dev] Missing documentation

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu Feb 19 13:15:40 CET 2015

Hi,

On 18/02/15 20:20, Kirill Elagin wrote:

> Having short reminders instead of long and verbose man pages is _so much
> better_. And having context-sensitive help is _absolutely marvelous_.

We could improve the current man-based situation in two ways:

* Have the "synopsis" section show the available operations. Then running
"nix-env --help" will show the most important information right on the first screen.

* Have separate manpages for each subcommand. Then "nix-env -q --help" could
invoke "man nix-env-q" or something like that.

> There is a `git help` command that opens a man page indeed, but `git <command>
> -h` prints a short summary of options.

Ah, I didn't know that. (I always use --help, which invokes "man".)

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/