[Nix-dev] Why are there so many branches in the nixpkgs repo

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Feb 16 21:46:20 CET 2015

> We could go over a list of those that are merged (git branch -r --merged
> master), but still for example 'upstart' is a branch that was taken before
> systemd has replaced it. Maybe it should be a tag.
I made the suggestion that "too experimental" branches / new ideas etc
could be submitted to github.com/nixos/nixpgks-ideas or so. This would
keep the official repository clean while allowing to submit less common
code or keep more history as appropriate.

In any case I'd vote for a VERISON file which explains a branch's
purpose shortly.

Marc Weber