[Nix-dev] "Disallowed host" while building Python packages?

Rok Garbas rok at garbas.si
Mon Feb 16 09:30:16 CET 2015

Quoting Jeffrey David Johnson (2015-02-16 04:56:35)
> I've had this happen a couple times now when trying to build Python packages. An error like:
>
> Searching for paste
> Note: Bypassing https://pypi.python.org/simple/paste/ (disallowed host; see http://bit.ly/1dg9ijs for details).
> Couldn't find index page for 'paste' (maybe misspelled?)
> Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
> Note: Bypassing https://pypi.python.org/simple/ (disallowed host; see http://bit.ly/1dg9ijs for details).
> No local packages or download links found for paste
> error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('paste')
>
> According to <http://bit.ly/1dg9ijs> you're supposed to make a setup.cfg file with contents like:
>
> [easy_install]
> allow_hosts = *.python.org
>
> Is there a Nix equivalent?

hi jeff,

in nix setuptools is not allowed to download during installation. you need to
package Paste and add it to buildInputs/propagatedBuildInputs list.

while this sounds like a pain, you only need to do this once and benefits (at
least for me) outweights the packaging pain.

--
Rok Garbas - http://www.garbas.si