[Nix-dev] Announcing New Ruby Support

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:35:43 CET 2015

> rb_enc_raise seems to be a ruby 2.0 thing and you're using 1.9.3. Some mixup
> somewhere?
> https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5650 was when it was added to 2.0 3 years
> ago...

Thanks! That definitely helped. Our default ruby is 1.9 (which seems
to match Ubuntu and Debian), so I tried to build jekyll with ruby_2_2
but it failed with the following error:

    building /nix/store/96pwrdy5jzdz8rgcnb5anfmyy65lg9iw-jekyll-0.20.0
    installing
    You are trying to install in deployment mode after changing
    your Gemfile. Run `bundle install` elsewhere and add the
    updated Gemfile.lock to version control.

    If this is a development machine, remove the Gemfile freeze
    by running `bundle install --no-deployment`.

    You have added to the Gemfile:
    * test-unit

The Gemfile contains the line: gem 'test-unit' if RUBY_PLATFORM =~
/cygwin/ || RUBY_VERSION.start_with?("2.2")
so I tried with ruby_2_1_3 instead. The build finished successfully,
but I didn't end up with a `jekyll` in ./result/bin:

    $ ls ./result/bin
    bayes.rb                  cucumber  launchy  maruku
posix-spawn-benchmark  rdiscount  redcarpet  ri
    convert_to_should_syntax  htmldiff  ldiff    marutex  rake
          rdoc       rg         summarize.rb

Here's the build log: http://nixpaste.noip.me/NKlLS4G-

Any idea what I can try next?

Cheers,
Cillian

--
NixOS: The Purely Functional Linux Distribution
http://nixos.org