[Nix-dev] Unstable Nixpkgs on stable NixOS (was: Automatically locking the screen with xautolock)

Jeffrey David Johnson jefdaj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:46:08 CET 2015

Wow my approach has been totally different. I think it's better at being declarative, but it doesn't allow getting user vs system packages from different sources so I have to pick between all stable or all unstable, or bother with the details of merging them.

I've got everything defined in a git repo full of .nix files with a submodule for my nixpkgs fork. When I want to add a package (or even just change one of my dotfiles) I edit the repo and do a nixos-rebuild. I think nix-env still references the official release-14.12 channel. Ideally I want it using my repo too, but since I barely use it there hasn't been a problem yet.

Short of changing my setup in a big way, maybe I should try merging the unstable branch into mine periodically? If that gets messed up I can copy and paste specific packages instead.

Also would setting some combination of NIXPKGS, NIXCFG, and NIX_PATH to point to my repos let me avoid channels altogether?

Thanks for writing this up! The environment variables, channels_root etc. are still sort of black magic to me and it helps.
Jeff