[Nix-dev] Linux config options

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Tue Feb 10 14:56:55 CET 2015

Hi,

On 10/02/15 14:48, Wout Mertens wrote:

> Just wondering out loud with probably no actionable change:
>
> Why are the kernel options implemented as strings ("FOO y") instead of an
> attribute set ({ foo = "y": })?
>
> Of course that means you can easily import your own .config file as described
> at https://nixos.org/wiki/How_to_tweak_Linux_kernel_config_options, but would an
> attribute set not allow things like "if the kernel has this feature enabled,
> install this package" or "if you enable this module the kernel must have foo set
> to one of these values"?

pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/manual-config.nix allows passing a "config"
attribute set containing kernel config option, e.g.

 config = { CONFIG_MODULES = "y"; CONFIG_FW_LOADER = "m"; };

I don't know if that's exposed to NixOS modules though.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/