[Nix-dev] Go packages and buildGoPackage

Luca Bruno lethalman88 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 13:24:22 CET 2015

I'm going to merge this PR soon: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/6119

It's going to close issues #1131 and #3080 .

It will introduce a new goPackages namespace, as long with go13Packages
and go14Packages. It works similarly to other *Packages.
Most go packages have been ported to use buildGoPackage.

The obvious advantage is that by putting libraries into goPackages they
will be shared among most of the tools, and of course easier for you to
start developing your own projects with nix-shell and so on. The current
state, instead, is that every project on its own define the dependencies.

If you have any doubts about this PR being merged please reply to the PR
itself, thanks.

I will merge the PR in a few days.

About the future: honestly I don't think how nodePackages are updated
will apply to goPackages. I don't really like the idea to update all the
packages at once. So for the time being I please everyone to avoid
auto-updating go packages, thanks. Also it's way harder to merge PRs
updating such packages (see how many nodePackages PR are left behind
because they don't apply anymore, of course).

Best regards,