[Nix-dev] Google Summer of Code 2015

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 11:16:53 CET 2015

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 5:56 PM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:

> This is called "breaking many use cases for email". This means I cannot
> write email on a blackboard in the beginning of a talk.

Not so, I issue an Interest packet which floods into the network and
finds you. The Interest packet says Michael, Stewart has an email for
you, please pull it.
You issue an Interest and which floods the network to me and I respond.

> For name resolution you either need a lot of address conversion
> infrastructure or to flood everyone at some points.

There is no name resolution, The Interest packet is flooded into the
network, each node checks to see if they have data which matches the
Interest packet.
Names and Locations are divorced.

> It is a big deal once your content request becomes LRU-forgotten before
> the reply arrives.

If there is no pending Interests then the data is dropped immediately,
fear not, the data will pulled another way.

> Routers are likely to have their own certified list and only allow you
> to see things they have in their trust system.

Could be, any different from a database?

> None of NDN benefits happen unless you actually route something via
> caching routers.

Yes buffers have been used as part of networking for decades now. It's
not new just the buffers can be a database,
a filesystem, a memory stick whatever.

> When you use /nix/store/ as cache, it is cheaper to do properly
> checksummed P2P over TCP/IP and not help a technology likely to make
> Internet filtering cheaper.

What is cheaper? Secondly how do you cheaply incorporate a temporal
binding? Not going to happen.

> Now, collecting unreferenced old paths may be a good idea. Removing
> rarely-used still-referenced-from-profile paths is malicious.
>
> Some links are slow; some rarely used things are important when they
> are used.

Yes you are correct it is malicious if you have no network connection,
then you could argue being disconnected from the Internet is
malicious.
Which I agree with!