[Nix-dev] sass not available ?

Catonano catonano at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 09:15:31 CET 2015

Kirill,

thanks for your reply

> You are looking at the `release-14.12` branch which is a little bit
> outdated of course.

Ok, I started from here http://nixos.org/nixos/packages.html

assuming that the information that was shown there was up to date. Now I
learn I was wrong. Good to know !

So, if 14.12 is old, which is the current release, anyway ?

> There was some work going on with Ruby support, you might want to check
> this PR: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/4677.

Yes, I found posts and discussions about the support for Ruby in several
mailing lists, forums and blogs.

Thanks again.

> I don’t use Ruby so I wasn’t following that, but it looks that things work
> completely differently now and gems are no longer listed in nixpkgs
> explicitly. You can try to figure this out yourself if you are feeling
> brave ;). Or just wait for someone who knows what was going on to reply.

No, I will not try to figure anything out. I'll wait for a competent answer

I don't use Ruby myself anyway. The only reason why I was considering sass
is because I was tempted to use the Google Web Starter Kit to learn the
basics of the web front end.

That includes sass. Because it seems that raw css can't be dealt with.

That's the ONLY reason why I looked at sass.

Without sass the Google thing doesn't work.

I couldn't manage to install sass even with the traditional Fedora yum. Yum
gets stuck in the folds between rvm and jruby and when building sass a
misterious Java exception gets thrown out

<rant>
So the web, hackathonish mentality, "bake something NOW" (and then nothing
works in the 3 hours span) has spilled deep into computing, when even
starter kits provided by giants get stuck in software config issues on
established linux distros.
</rant>

Thank you anyway for your help