[Nix-dev] Google Summer of Code 2015

stewart mackenzie setori88 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 08:04:49 CET 2015

I prefer the NDN approach for a number of reasons:

* An Alan Kay quote: The Internet was done so well that most people
think of it as a natural resource like the Pacific Ocean, rather than
something that was man-made. When was the last time a technology with
a scale like that was so error-free? The Web, in comparison, is a
joke. The Web was done by amateurs.
* IPFS.io tailors to patching flaws in HTTP and is aimed at the browser.
* IPFS has many moving pieces, NDN is much simpler in comparison.
* NDN has provenance built into the protocol, IPFS does not.
* NDN isn't dependent on the browser and is meant to support other
non-browser applications.
* A web-of-trust implementation on NDN would be much simpler, as key
dissemination is done via the NDN. Eelco's public key could be
distributed with each Nix installation. As long as the NDN obtained
list of trusted contributors signed by that key it's safe.... within
the social limitations of a web-of-trust.

So, no, I do not support a bittorrent P2P styled setup.