[Nix-dev] Check the priority of package in the nix store

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Sun Feb 1 19:40:54 CET 2015

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 1:07 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 01/31/2015 09:19 PM, Richard Wallace wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to check the priority of something in the nix-store? Any
>> ideas why the priority is being ignored and/or lost in this process? Am
>> there something wrong in my process?
>>

> The packages in nix store don't really have any priority themselves.
> nix-env evaluates priority for a package at the moment when it's
> (re-)installed into an environment, and records it in a manifest file of
> that particular environment. You can inspect that file, too, e.g.
> ~/.nix-profile/manifest.nix
>
> So, e.g. if you changed the priorities in the expressions but not
> re-installed from them since, the packages will keep the old priorities in
> those envs.

Ok, so in my case because I'm copying the closure with `nix-copy-closure`
and using `nix-env -i` on the nix store path directly, nix-env never sees
the package expression and hence never has a chance of seeing the priority.

I guess my best option - unless I'm missing something - is to run `nix-env
--set-flag priority 10 <old-package-name>` on each of my machines.  This is
a bit of a pain, but at least it's a one time thing.

Thanks,
Rich