[Nix-dev] Perl -> C++

jeaye contact at jeaye.com
Wed Dec 30 18:04:10 CET 2015

On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 04:13:08PM -0500, Kevin Cox wrote:
>    On Dec 30, 2015 21:21, "Arseniy Seroka" <[1]ars.seroka at gmail.com> wrote:
>    >
>    > In **my opinion** go is not a good language. And lua is not a language
>    that is needed in that kind of program.
>    >

>    I have to agree with this. Rust is awesome for it's strong type system but
>    c++ is so standard that it might be worth sticking with it.

As C++ devs, I think it's important that we consider using a safer, more
functional language everywhere we can. Rust does this very well, to the
point where me enumerating its benefits would be redundant. The point I
want to make is that, if there's ever a choice between C++ and Rust, and
some niche features like template meta-programming aren't required, Rust
is the safer, more modern option.

If Nix is ever to adopt Rust, as a C++ replacement or otherwise, there's
no better time than the present.