[Nix-dev] Configure WiFi networks for NetworkManager in configuration.nix?

Mateusz Czaplinski czapkofan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 16:54:01 CET 2015

Hi All.
I've recently installed NixOS on an old notebook. I struggled somewhat,
especially with network configuration, but in the end I managed to
configure it using network-manager and "nmcli".

I'd much prefer if I could pre-configure all my default WiFi networks for
network-manager via configuration.nix, instead of having to set them up
manually with nmcli. Is that possible?

If it's not possible, I'd like to try contributing such a feature to the
network-manager package in nixpkgs. Would such a contribution be accepted?
What API (i.e. example nix expression) would you like to see for that, or
should I propose one? From some quick reading on the Internet, I believe
NetworkManager keeps its settings as files in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ [1]; if I'm right on that, I assume
I should create such files from the nix-expression; does that sound correct?

    [1]: https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/SystemSettings

Thanks,
/Mateusz.