[Nix-dev] Basic commands not found in shell script when run from systemd

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 13:43:09 CET 2015

Hi Nix Devs,

I've created a bash script that does a duplicity backup to an s3 instance
(but this is trivial).  When I run the script from cli, it works as
expected, but when this script is called from a systemd timer, I do get all
kind of errors about basic binaries not being found when using subshell
commands, like eg

HOST=$(hostname) # (or HOST=`hostname`)

The errors are like these:
hostname: command not found
ps: command not found
awk ..
sendmail ..

Any ideas on what's going on so I can solve this and have this script
running correctly when started by systemd?

Kind regards,

Erik