[Nix-dev] Escape ${ in multiline string

4levels 4levels at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 13:05:23 CET 2015

Hi Nix Devs,

I'm currently struggling to create a bash script within a nix multiline
string, terminted by double single quotes.

In the bash script, I need to put ${} statements but this is throwing
compile errors (Undefined variable error).  I've tried escaping the $ sign
with a backslash, but that doesn't help.  I also tried escaping with a
double backslash, same result.

Any ideas? Should I rewrite the bash script to not use the ${ statements?

Kind regards,

code example
      s3Backup = name:
      ''
        DAILYLOGFILE="/var/log/duplicity/backup.log"
        # Clear the old daily log file
        cat /dev/null > ${DAILYLOGFILE}  // -> compile error: undefined
variable DAILYLOGFILE
      '';

Erik aka 4levels