[Nix-dev] Disabling patchelf on ARM

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Tue Dec 29 12:32:35 CET 2015

For what I remember, Patchelf is used in most stdenv.mkDerivation just to
shorten the number of dependencies (shrink-rpath).

In armv5tel, I remember that my binaries were broken if I run patchelf
*ONCE*. If I run patchelf *TWICE*, they worked fine. That's clearly an
jnsolved bug worked around. I think it was never fixed in patchelf,
because there was this work-around and noone looked at the problem
anymore.

I think that for arv6 or armv7 the double-patchelf was not required
anymore; I can't tell. I have not checked how does it work now with those
archs.

Jokia, it'd be great if you would gather details beyond "it breaks
binaries", and even better if you could propose a fix. :)

Regards,
Lluís.

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 12:24:33PM +0100, Joachim Schiele wrote:
> On 26.12.2015 12:55, Jookia wrote:
> > Hey there,
> >
> > I've been working for a few months on getting a Novena port of NixOS running.
> > The overall Nix infrastructure works, though I still have a ton of issues to
> > solve before publishing any patches required on a git repository (they probably
> > won't be merged in to nixpkgs anyway.)
>
> if they are good patches we will merge them!
>
> > A problem I've been dealing with is mysterious segmentation faults affecting the
> > system along with bugs that aren't present in Debian on the same system.
> > patchelf has been the culprit for quite a few of them and upstream doesn't seem
> > to be working on fixing this.
>
> patchelf is used to deploy the initial bootstrap-tools. later one there
> is only minimal use, as you already said, for binary only applications.
>
> please provide an exaple, where patchelf is doing something wrong with
> some paste from the shell.
>
> thank you

(Escriu-me xifrat si saps PGP / Write ciphered if you know PGP)
PGP key D4831A8A - https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/