[Nix-dev] Set up a Sufficiently Powerful Build Farm

Christian Theune ct at flyingcircus.io
Tue Dec 22 15:16:16 CET 2015

Hi,

> On 22 Dec 2015, at 14:57, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I spoke with Rob Vermaas about donating Darwin machines and we decided that the hosted Mac options were indeed too expensive. As far as I could tell, the best Mac compute power for the money is a Mac Mini from the previous generation (or the one before it) since they had 4-core i7 CPUs back then (the more recent ones only have 2-core CPUs and often i5s unless you spend lots of money).
>
> I bought one of those older Mac Minis off eBay as a donation to the NixOS foundation, and once it ships to them they will manage the machine as part of the main Hydra cluster.
>
> It would sometimes be more appealing to host the machines ourselves, but unfortunately there are all sorts of trust issues there which we haven't yet solved, so I think the best bet for now if you want Darwin Hydra to get stronger is either to donate to the foundation so they can buy more (Darwin) build boxes, or to donate hardware directly as I did.

Thanks. If that’s feasible and works for the guys maintaining the hardware at the farm then I wonder: do we have an estimate how many machines would make an impact or should we try adding a bunch more? Or just wait for yours to arrive?

How much did you pay for the mac mini you managed to get?

Christian

--
Christian Theune · ct at flyingcircus.io · +49 345 219401 0
Flying Circus Internet Operations GmbH · http://flyingcircus.io