[Nix-dev] loopback.cfg grub ISO boot

Wed Dec 16 19:59:38 CET 2015

hi,

since i don't know in which github subproject i should file a feature
request, i'm trying this list hoping either to get a pointer where to
post my request, or hear that you'll accept an implement it straight
away ;-)

i recently configured my grub2 to boot some linux live-CD/DVD-ISOs via
its loopback capability. while figuring out the parameters to get them
booted is extremly painful and error-prone. but i found a nice
"standard", which i'm asking you to implement.

it's boils down to provide a loopback.cfg inside the ISO that can be
sourced by grub's config and has access to some prepared variables.
i guess it can be generated without much overhead, since you need to
maintain your isolinux.cfg anyway.

that way i just need to point grub to the ISO and it's capable to boot
it. i'm currently using it to provide a Linux Mint for guest users of my
laptop, who don't have access to my FDE (except boot partition)

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/Loopback.cfg

cheers
  pille