[Nix-dev] Change owner and permissions of a file in nix-store

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Wed Dec 16 19:35:08 CET 2015

Hi,

On 16/12/15 16:07, Augustin Borsu wrote:

> I'm using the following snippet to deploy a private key and certificate
> to my server using nixops.
> I was wondering, is it possible to change the owner and permissions of
> files in the nix-store?

No, this is not currently possible. There is a PR open for adding support for
private files [1].

An alternative solution would be support for encrypted files in the Nix store
(i.e. secrets get encrypted at evaluation time, and decrypted at runtime). I
implemented a prototype a while back [2], but it's not merged either.

[1] https://github.com/NixOS/nix/pull/329

[2]
https://github.com/edolstra/nix/commit/6b7003672ff8d73d2a1f3b6709b216b3d0a7ad9c,
example usage for wpa_supplicant.conf keys:
https://github.com/edolstra/nixpkgs/commit/4c8212069429bf9fb959e00ce8d9345ac7cb7ff0

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/