[Nix-dev] nixos-in-place - Install NixOS on top of any Linux distro

jeaye contact at jeaye.com
Thu Dec 10 03:28:01 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 12:22:58PM +0300, Denis Ivanchik wrote:
>    Right I understood that you mean VPS under KVM?

nixos-in-place doesn't distinguish between machines running under KVM,
real hardware, or anything else; it should work regardless.

>    I want to try NixOS as the OpenVZ container also.
>    But wiki page is broken.
>    Did you try NixOS as the OVZ container?

I haven't tried nixos-in-place in an OVZ container, since I'm not very
familiar with them. If they can be supported with minimal specializations, I
don't see why we can't make it work.

>    About nixos-in-place..
>    I think need to focus on the 1-2 popular VPS distros, not more.
>    Which distro most popular on the VPS?
>    Debian(Ubuntu), Centos.
>    Why?
>    If i want the NixOS then I will buy VPS this Debian(for example) and then
>    reinstall NixOS. No need another specific distro.

nixos-in-place is meant to be as platform-independent as possible; there
isn't a single fork of logic, currently, for any specific platform. I'd
like to keep it like that, if possible, but this shows that what
nixos-in-place is doing is quite simple; from what I've seen, it's also quite
portable.

If you're buying a VPS specifically for this purpose, I recommend
starting with Debian 8.2.0; I've found Debian to play very nicely with
nixos-in-place.

Cheers
Jeaye