[Nix-dev] nixos-in-place - Install NixOS on top of any Linux distro

jeaye contact at jeaye.com
Wed Dec 9 20:59:48 CET 2015

Folks,

In hopes of getting NixOS onto DigitalOcean, and other VPS providers,
I've created https://github.com/jeaye/nixos-in-place

nixos-in-place can be used for other purposes, outside of VPSs, for
installing NixOS on top of any existing distro. However, where it shines
is converting existing VPSs into NixOS without any live media.

I know there's a great deal of work being done, by aszlig, on the
nixos-assimilate project which covers much of the same ground as
nixos-in-place. Currently, nixos-assimilate isn't usable; however, once
it is, I do believe there won't be a need for nixos-in-place anymore.
nixos-assimilate appears to be a much more complete solution and will
likely result in a much more nix-y experience.

Until then, with love, I hope the NixOS community is able to enjoy NixOS
systems on providers which otherwise would have more limited options.

nixos-in-place is very new software; please take any issues or requests
to the Github issue tracker. Feel free to ping me in IRC.

Cheers,
Jeaye