[Nix-dev] Copyright notices in nixpkgs repo

Eduard Bachmakov e.bachmakov at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 22:29:57 CET 2015

Hi all,

As some of you might already have noticed, there is an ongoing discussion
in pull requests

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/11535 and
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/11557

regarding copyright notices in the nixpkgs repository.

Currently, (from what I can tell) we only have the file COPYING that
contains the line

> Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Eelco Dolstra

and the (MIT) license text.

In the second of these two pull requests I propose to create a new file,
AUTHORS, which has a list of all current and previous contributors as well
as Google Inc. who owns my pull request. It is reference from COPYING.

Please take a look at those pull requests (and the discussion, IMO esp.
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/11557#issuecomment-163004917).

The question is: Should we proceed with #11557 or should we take some other
path? If so, which?