[Nix-dev] Wrap Debian packages with buildFHSUserEnv

Jeffrey David Johnson jefdaj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 17:57:51 CET 2015

I read this post by Anders J Papitto:

http://anderspapitto.com/posts/2015-02-28-deb-installation-nixos.html

and got excited. You can actually install Debian packages? Even complex
ones like Steam? I started refactoring his example and surprisingly it
wasn't hard to put in an automation-friendly format. So my question is
why has no one done this before? Is it considered a bad idea? Are there
legal issues? Have I just not heard of it? And if not, any interest in
extending it to cover more packages and/or have a proper deb2nix script?

Here's the code, which can be unzipped and run with `nix-build`:

https://gist.github.com/jefdaj/9c88c5f9712f33faf7b1

Jeff