[Nix-dev] Can't get powerline symbols working

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Tue Dec 1 20:08:57 CET 2015

I'm trying to get the powerline fonts working in vim the way it is
described for fontconfig <
https://powerline.readthedocs.org/en/latest/installation/linux.html#fontconfig>
and am having issues. I've put the PowerlineSymbols.otf file in my
~/.local/share/fonts directory and the 10-powerline-symbols.conf file in my
~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d directory. But when I start up vim the symbols
aren't found. From what I've read, these should be the correct directories.
Are they? What else might I be missing?

I also tried installing the powerline package from nixpkgs, which installs
the font and configuration <
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/top-level/python-packages.nix#L13409>,
but that doesn't work either.

For now I've fallen back to installing the powerline-fonts package and
using the patched version of DejaVu Mono, but that's less than ideal.

Any ideas how to get just the powerline symbols working with the plain old
DejaVu Mono font?

Thanks,
Rich