[Nix-dev] What is the end game?

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:11:17 CEST 2015

Hi.

On 08/25/2015 05:42 PM, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> What does nixpkgs look like in this world? Does it duplicate the
> individual package .nix files in their respective repositories? Does it
> only duplicate minimal information (dependencies and meta) from the
> remote repositories?

My view on this: we surely want to reduce duplication of information,
but upstream will (almost) surely want to support also other systems
than nix, so it's easier to keep most information in some "more
portable" format, typically scripts.

The *.nix files (should) just contain a thin wrapper of mostly
nix(pkgs)-specific stuff. Some of the information even depends more on
particular nixpkgs version than the package version, so it isn't really
suitable to have that upstream.

As for sharing various metadata, some people are trying to standardize a
shared distro-neutral format, but I don't know about anything being
"really alive". We could utilize similar sources in the future.
Example: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Distributions/AppStream/

Vladimir