[Nix-dev] Jar files

Tomasz Kontusz tomasz.kontusz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:27:07 CEST 2015

Nix only scans for hashes, and there's a good chance they'll be kept intact when compressing.

If that's not good enough, then you'll have to make a file with references either by hand or by unpacking the jars. I don't know how often this will actually be needed - is Java retaining paths to dependencies after compilation?

Dnia 28 sierpnia 2015 15:02:19 CEST, Daniel Peebles <pumpkingod at gmail.com> napisał(a):
>Hi all,
>
>We don't have much of a Java presence in Nixpkgs, but I was thinking of
>growing it. This leads to what seems like a bit of a thorny issue: most
>java code is distributed in jars, which are glorified zip files. Can
>anyone
>see the problem?
>
>The one I'm afraid of is one of runtime dependencies: normally we're
>fine
>embedding other nix store paths in code, under the assumption that the
>literal string will show up somewhere in the resulting binary. If you
>zip
>the result, that's no longer true without smarter scanning logic.
>
>So is the solution to make our java packaging never produce any jars,
>and
>explicitly unpack any we encounter? That feels kind of gross.
>Alternately,
>we could have a post-processor that scans the unpacked zip files for
>store
>paths and then replicates them somewhere in nix-support. Also doesn't
>feel
>ideal!
>
>Are there other options? Am I misunderstanding something or is this
>really
>an issue?
>
>Thanks,
>Dan