[Nix-dev] Problem when running some JVM librairies under NixOS

phreedom at yandex.ru phreedom at yandex.ru
Fri Aug 28 14:47:25 CEST 2015

On Friday, August 28, 2015 14:26:22 Alois Cochard wrote:
> I have just migrated my development workstation from ArchLinux to NixOS,
> and I'm facing a small issues when developing my JVM applications.
>
> The problem manifest itself with two libraries (embedded mongodb, and
> embedded protobuf compiler) which have in common one thing:
> - They extract some file in the `/tmp` folder and start an executable from
> the extracted files
>
> I won't show the detail of the exception here, but basically it seems like
> the files get deleted (file not found) before being able to start the
> external process.
>
> Everything was working fine on my previous distribution, and I'm trying to
> understand what could trigger the problem? Is there anything specific when
> it comes to dealing with the `/tmp` directory in Nix?

/tmp is one of the few things we're yet to lay our hands on, so it works just like in any
other distro. The most likely reason is you misunderstood the error message or the error
message is broken. For example, when an executable file has a broken dynamic loader
link, you get a weird "not found message" when the file you're executing actually exists.