[Nix-dev] Logo improvement ideas

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 10:32:12 CEST 2015

Woops! ... I sent this directly to Tim rather than to the list:

> On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 2:16 AM, Cillian de Róiste
> <cillian.deroiste at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Very interesting designs! There was some talk at FOSDEM this year
>> about brushing up the design/branding in general. I was really hoping
>> we could get a designer on board to help with that although it fell
>> through (but maybe you are a designer?).
>
> Unfortunately not, I just played one in high school ;).

Ah, well that may be the closest we've got :D ... although I think
kmicu on IRC has some design experience too.

>> Before updating the logo, I
>> wonder if we should step back a bit and think about what the logo
>> should communicate. I added a stub of a page to the wiki to develop a
>> style guide, but I haven't done much with it since:
>> https://nixos.org/wiki/Style_Guide . Would something like that be a
>> good place to start?
>
> It certainly might be, but I'm not really sure of the composition of
> folks working on Nix / NixOS - are there designer types that could
> help with this? Personally I do a bit of graphic design as a hobbyist
> (thus my interest in the logo), but don't have much to contribute
> outside that in terms of branding / figuring out style guides. So this
> is a good idea, but will only go somewhere if there are enough people
> wanting to contribute to it.

Ah, fair enough. I think we could get help from the
opensourcedesigners gang, but we don't have anyone at the moment. It
would be awesome to get someone on board for this. One thing they
suggest is to add a github ticket and label it "design". Perhaps you
could kick this off with your work on the logo and see if it catches
anyone's interest?

>> BTW, The issues with the overlapping lambdas in the current logo
>> should be solved in this version:
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixos-artwork/blob/master/logo/nix-snowflake.svg
>
> I'm afraid I don't see it - this looks identical to the current logo
> to me. Maybe that's the point (I'm not sure what "overlapping" you're
> referring to),...

Yeah, they look identical, but in the original each lambda overlaps,
and there's an extra shape which masks the first lambda. In this
version they are cut at the intersections. If you open the file in
inkscape and ungroup the lambdas and move one, I think it will be
clear ... at any rate it's just a detail.

> but I find it hard to spot the lambdas in this version
> for two reasons:
>
>  - they're not separate enough. Aside from being different colours,
> there is no gap or other obvious distinction between each
>
>  - (I think) the lack of any upright lambda makes it less likely you'd
> notice, as well.
>
>> I'm pretty sure we can get help with the colors from
>> http://opensourcedesign.net (I've asked them about it before, but
>> figured we should work on the style guide first).
>>
>> Personally, I'm really fond of the current logo, although I would
>> really like if we decided on a standard font (I'm a fan of Varela
>> Round, to go with the current logo). Most of all I'd love if we could
>> have a style guide, and have templates everyone could use for flyers,
>> posters, t-shirts etc. I'd really love if NixOS could be themeable
>> from configuration.nix too, but that's another story :D
>
> Yes, fonts are important too, and I haven't done too much work there
> other than flipping through my installed fonts to pick one which
> didn't look awful ;)
> Varela Round certainly matches the current logo's style well, although
> I suspect it might be better to have a font which doesn't match the
> logo's form quite so well (if the whole logo is made of rounded
> sticks, that could get a little bland).

That makes perfect sense, thanks! I'm sure your sense of what doesn't
look awful would already be a great improvement on what we have at the
moment :D ... Myriad Pro is used a bit, and is nice but it's not Free,
so that's a problem.

>> What do you think? Perhaps we could have some kind of a video
>> conferencing session with anyone who's interested to get the ball
>> rolling?
>
> Yeah, collecting interested parties is certainly a good idea (although
> video conference might be hard to organise timezone-wise). I'm not
> entirely sure how to solicit that - anyone else on the mailing list
> interested?

FWIW, I'm free on Sunday (except early morning, UTC). I could see if
anyone from the opensourcedesigners would be interested in helping out
too. Would that suit anyone? Naturally, it will be entirely up to the
foundation to decide whether or not they are interested in adopting
any suggestions we might come up with.

Cheers,
Cillian