[Nix-dev] Ideas for systematically avoiding unwanted runtime dependencies

Tomasz Kontusz tomasz.kontusz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 08:25:25 CEST 2015

On 08/27/2015 12:15 AM, Daniel Peebles wrote:
> Right now I'm struggling with my image pulling in gcc because it
> legitimately depends on icu4c, which mysteriously retains a runtime
> dependency on gcc. Regardless of specifics, individual packages can
> usually be fixed to reduce their runtime footprint, but I'm looking
> for ideas for how to do so in a systematic manner, so we don't just
> notice these things by accident and fix them one by one. Does anyone
> have any thoughts?
For specific known-problematic packages we could use allowedReferences
(see http://nixos.org/nix/manual/#sec-advanced-attributes) to make sure
we have control over runtime dependencies.

I'm not sure how that would work with multiple outputs, but if it was
per-output we could even use it by default (most packages don't need
references to gcc in their default output :-)).