[Nix-dev] What is the end game?

Daniel Peebles pumpkingod at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:42:38 CEST 2015

Hi all,

Let's say for a moment that Nix has taken over the world, and every open
source project now includes a default.nix or release.nix in its repo root.

What does nixpkgs look like in this world? Does it duplicate the individual
package .nix files in their respective repositories? Does it only duplicate
minimal information (dependencies and meta) from the remote repositories?

We're already running into (a small amount of) pain because Hydra already
fits the description above:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/7504#issuecomment-95547176. Based
on expectations set by most packages in nixpkgs/nixos, we expect to find
services and packages in nixpkgs, and Hydra breaks that expectation. I'm
not necessarily saying we should move its expressions into nixpkgs, but I
am looking for someone to paint a picture of what Nix(OS) life will look
like when we achieve world domination :)

Thanks
Dan