[Nix-dev] nix-shell unpackPhase does not work on my system

Massimo Zaniboni massimo.zaniboni at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 18:08:28 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm a newbie of Nix.

On NixOS installed on a VM these commands are ok:

   nix-shell '<nixpkgs>' -A hello
   unpackPhase
   configurePhase
   buildPhase

On my laptop I'm using Nix on top of a Mint (Ubuntu based) system,
because hardware recognition is better than NixOS, and I don't need
DevOps tools.

   uname -a
   Linux think 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC
2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

But on my Mint system, the nix-shell does not see the "configurePhase"
and all other "*Phase" commands.

   nix-shell '<nixpkgs>' -A hello
   unpackPhase
   unpackPhase: comando non trovato

   nix-shell --version
   nix-shell (Nix) 1.10pre4200_76cc8e9

The problem is the same also with version 1.9 of nix-shell. Any hints
about what I must check? The Nix project is too big, and without any
hint I feel lost.

Thanks in advance,
Massimo