[Nix-dev] mxe on NixOS

James Cook james.cook at utoronto.ca
Tue Aug 18 07:13:04 CEST 2015

>> Thanks. Adding autoconf, automake and libtool to buildInputs for glib
>> and running nix-shell -A glib put be in an environment where I can
>> successfully run autogen.sh.
>>
>> Any idea why it only works in a nix-shell instance? I have autoconf,
>> automake, libtool installed via nix-env.
>>
>> (Andrew, are you still hoping to get this working?)
>

> Yes I am.
>
> My current strategy is this .nix file:
>
> with import <nixpkgs> {}; {
>   mxeEnv = stdenv.mkDerivation {
>     name = "mxe";
>     buildInputs = [
>       autoconf
>       automake
>       gnumake
>       bison
>       cmake
>       flex
>       gettext
>       gperf
>       intltool
>       libtool
>       openssl
>       ruby
>       scons
>       unzip
>       pkgconfig
>       python
>       wget
>     ];
>   };
> }
>
> Then I use `nix-shell mxe.nix` and attempt to `make glib`, and I get the
> issue I originally reported.
>
> Am I understanding correctly that you are doing something slightly different
> and successfully able to build glib with mxe?

No, I'm not using mxe at all, and I've only tried running autogen.sh.

Unless someone chimes in and points out why building glib outside
nix-shell isn't working, a couple of ideas if you haven't already
tried them:

* Try starting with the glib derivation: add autoconf, automake and
libtool to pkgs/development/libraries/glib/default.nix and use
nix-shell -A glib.

* With that method, can you build vanilla, non-mxe glib?
(https://github.com/GNOME/glib) If not, we must be doing something
different...

* If you can successfully build ordinary glib that way, but can't
build mxe glib, it might be time to take it back to the mxe people.

James