[Nix-dev] Some beginner Nix/nixpkgs questions

Alex Dean alex at snowplowanalytics.com
Wed Aug 5 13:14:10 CEST 2015

Thanks Luca, that's very helpful. I think I've got a better handle on the
Nix way now.

Cheers,

Alex

On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Luca Bruno <lethalman88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 12:33, Alex Dean wrote:
> > Thanks Luca,
> >
> > On 1 - "We prefer having only the latest version when possible.". I
> > don't think I understand this. If I am using Packer to build an Amazon
> > AMI and install Kafka via Nix, then all it takes is a single commit to
> > Nixpkgs for me to end up with a different Kafka version on an image
> > built on Tuesday to an image built on Monday. I understand the concept
> > of "always deploy the latest XXX available", but the presumption of it
> > is unworkable from a devops perspective.
> Then copy/paste the kafka nix expression on your own repository and use
> that if that's unsuitable for you.
> >
> > On 2 - I will give that a try, thanks.
> >
> > On 3 - fetchgitPrivate looks like a way of building a package from a
> > private repo. I am interested in hosting a private "instance" of
> > Nixpkgs with some private packages and adding that into my list of Nix
> > package resolvers - does that make sense?
> You mean your own binary cache? Yes check nix-serve nixos module. Or if
> you mean your own nixpkgs repo, well that's just a git checkout, nothing
> special.

Co-founder
Snowplow Analytics <http://snowplowanalytics.com/>
The Roma Building, 32-38 Scrutton Street, London EC2A 4RQ, United Kingdom
+44 (0)203 589 6116
+44 7881 622 925
@alexcrdean <https://twitter.com/alexcrdean>