[Nix-dev] Nix expression built-in type limitations

Terrance Kennedy terrancerkennedy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 22:45:15 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm working on a Python project to convert Python built-in types to Nix
built-in types and it raised some quesions on the limitations of built-in
Nix types. I've been able to gather some information using nix-repl and
reading the Nix expression parser code, but am not sure on the following:

- Integer: Appear to be either 32 or 64 bit signed integer depending on the
underlying architecture. Is this correct?
- String: From what I can tell, since Nix strings are based on C++
std::string, they don't enforce or expect any kind of encoding. Is it
recommended or tested to put non-ASCII data (in any encoding) into a Nix
string? What about binary data?
represent paths with whitespace?

Cheers,
- Terrance