[Nix-dev] Hydra Queueing itself to Death

Moritz Ulrich moritz at tarn-vedra.de
Tue Apr 21 14:40:43 CEST 2015

Some highly professional analytics from my side (currently 54k
packages):

% curl https://hydra.nixos.org/queue > queue

% grep "trunk-combined" queue|wc -l
11873

% grep "staging" queue|wc -l
16549

% grep "darwin" queue|wc -l
16054

% grep "python" queue|wc -l
33064

% grep "x86_64-linux" queue|wc -l
38859

% grep "i686-linux" queue|wc -l
23484

(I know the line counts doesn't mean anything - it's just to get a rough
overview)

While I don't claim to know much about the issues with hydra, isn't
there something we should do to bring hydra back to an usable state?
Reducing stress by building less packages, dropping staging, or
*something*?

Using NixOS on a laptop without a usable binary cache is pretty painful
if you want to use a web browser, LibreOffice, or similar.